Friday, September 4, 2009

The Jamati Entourage: ‘Seun catches up with Steve Babaeko

Interview by 'Seun Johnson, Jamati Entourage (Nigeria) | Posted Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Nigerian music scene is definitely witnessing a renaissance, and X3M(extreme)Music, founded by Steve Babaeko, is one of the frontline record labels fanning the embers of the quiet revolution sweeping across Africa’s most populous nation.”Apart from promoting good music, they strongly believe in reconnecting African artistes living in the diaspora back to their roots.”

X3M Music recently signed an exclusive licensing and management deal with BANTU. This deal would see the release of BANTU’S work in Nigerria and across Africa. They have also recently signed Nigeria’s singing sensation ETCETERA. His debut self-titled album is now in stores all over Nigeria.

JAMATI Entourage: Thank you Steve for granting me this interview. Can you introduce yourself?

My name is Steve Babaeko, I am the Business/Creative Director of 141 Worldwide, a global advertising agency with over 36 offices across the globe. I also own X3M Music, an independent record label with artistes like BANTU and ETCETERA in our stable.

I was born on June 1, 1971 in Kaduna and also spent most of my growing up years in the same city we fondly call ‘ Crocodile City ’ where I attended The Federal School of Arts and Science, Suleja , Niger State and, later on, studied Drama at Ahmadu Bello University , Zaria. I did my Youth service with NTA Kano, and moved to Lagos to start my advertising career.

Jamati Entourage: Tell us about your record and prior work.

While in Zaria , I was a member of the Creative Writers Club and I’ve earned my living via creativity since then. I have developed advertising Campaigns for brands like Fanta, DSTV, Virgin Atlantic , Etisalat, Pfizer and many other multinational companies. I have won several advertisingAwards and pitches in the process. Also I have been the Executive Producer for Bantu and Etcetera’s albums. For the past 3 years I always get invited by the Communication and Language arts department, University of Ibadan, to give a lecture on creativity and advertising.

Jamati Entourage:Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Creativity is divine so my inspiration comes from that realm, plus, I think, my environment and people I meet. I call myself a student of humanity thus I love to study people, their actions and inactions, hopes, fears, and aspirations. All these are for me a big well of inspiration.

Jamati Entourage: How do you blend work and your job. We all know that your job demands traveling?

Technology has made this a lot easier. I roam [with] my blackberry, I make calls, emails etc. Wherever iam in the world I can always get my job done. Give us a list of countries you’ve been to and your dream country: In Africa, I have been to Ghana, Togo, South Africa. I have been to the UK, Germany, France, Holland, Denmark, Belgium, and Spain etc. My dream countries, I think, would be Japan and Vietnam. Japan because of their sheer determination as a people, and Vietnam because I am curious to see the country that withstood Almighty America in battle.

Jamati Entourage: What’s your latest work, or are you still cooking up something for both your audiences home and abroad?

My agency just broke an advertising campaign for one our telecoms client, Etisalat. The campaign is currently generating a huge buzz in Nigeria. Etcetera just shot three Videos in South Africa while Bantu is about to release a blockburster video and single! Jamati Entourage: How can the fans of your artistes and record label get to be informed about what you’re up to?

Catch up with me and X3M Music on our website or myspace page or on facebook.

Jamati Entourage: Drop a few lines of inspiration for the aspiring youth in your industry

For all the youth out there, hold on to your dream as if your life depends on it because it actually does! Jamati Entourage: Tell us something we don’t know or what you’ve not told anyone before:

Babaeko is my surname and not a nickname like many think. Jamati Entourage: Thank you Steve Babaeko for hanging out with us, it’s a pleasure.We wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Thanks to you guys at Jamati for chatting with me. Peace in the Niger Delta and the Middle East.

No comments: