Friday, September 4, 2009

Kel’s Big Time Investment into Rap Music….

Interview by 'Seun Johnson,Jamati Entourage Nigeria | Posted Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jamati Entourage, Nigeria’s ‘Seun Johnson catches up with Kelechi Ohia, the Nigerian-born, sexy diva, and lyrically skilled female rapper, known to many as Kel’, who launched into the Nigerian music scene with the hit single “Waa Waa Alright” in 2008.

She revealed in this interview her experiences so far as a celebrity, her reactions to her nomination in the “Best Female Artist” category in the forthcoming MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) 2009, to be held in Kenya later this year, and her just-released debut album “The Investment“.

Jamati: Background(Family and education)

My name is Kelechi Ohia. I am the 3rd child in a family of 4 kids. I Grew up with my parents and had a regular fun childhood. Went to Learningfield Primary School in Satellite Town where I grew up. I went to Early Life Secondary School in Festac and am currently in Lagos State University (LASU) studying Economics in my 400L.

Jamati: What influenced your choice of doing rap?

It was a very good friend of mine that introduced me to hip hop and rap music especially. When I found out I could actually do it, and do it well, I was already sooo in love with rap myself.

Jamati: How have you been able to manage your music career and weekend classes in Economics?

Kel's

My classes are on weekends so I guess your question answers itself. Classes are during the day and most of my shows are at night.

Jamati: Tell us about your newly released debut album “The Investment“.

It’s a 19-track album with an intro, an outro and 2 skits. I got a lotta artistes on it….Durella, Shank, MI, Ill Bliss, Jesse Jagz, Ice Prince, Tha Suspect, Waje, SLK,OC, Skin, Nyore, Darey, 6, YQ, WizKid, Aique..whew…what a list..lol. Producers I worked with were J.Martins, Tha Suspect, Jesse Jagz, Big Foot and Dokta Frabz.

Jamati: For how long have you been in the music industry?

Quite a while (smile).

Jamati: You have, since your storm into the Nigerian music industry, accumulated various awards. Can we have a rundown of these awards.

Awards??? Nah mehn, its just one. Had a lot of nominations but won just one award–Discovery of the Year for Soundcity Video Music Awards(SMVAs) 2009.

Jamati: Oh…..OK.

Jamati: You’ve also just been nominated in “The Best Female Artist” category of the MTV Africa Music Awards to be held in Kenya in October this year. How do you feel and what’s your expectation?

Am super psyched!!! Madcrazy excited!!! It’s a huge deal for me whenever I get nominated. It’s nice to know people see what you do and appreciate you for it. I expect the best to win; who wouldn’t?

Jamati: What did it feel like signing your first autograph for a fan?

It felt weird. When I was asked initially, I thought the person was joking and I tried to laugh it off but they kept waving the pen and paper in my face and I was like, “Are you for real?”. It was a wonderful experience.

Jamati: How do you keep in touch with your fans around Nigeria and outside it’s shores?

Over the internet. When they holla at me, I do my best to holla back.

Jamati: Tell us that thing or those things that you’ve stopped doing as a result of your ascent into stardom?

Ummmm…I try to be nicer, always ready with a smile at whoever, and treat everybody with respect. I can’t just go anywhere and I can’t wear whatever I feel like.

Jamati: What specific decisions have you made in your life that you would have regretted if you didn’t take them?

Taking music seriously.

Jamati: You’re presently signed under Capital Hill Records owned by Clarence Peters. What has your relationship with Clarence been like?

It is one big happy family over at Capital Hill. We cool. I respect Clarence Peters and he respects me. We have a very cordial working relationship.

Jamati: In one or two words,what exactly is the message behind your songs?

I write about life. Personal experiences and experiences of others. I make music that the people can relate to.

Jamati: Sure you freestyle, ‘cos Jamati Online wouldn’t mind a couple of lines….off-the-record, so we don’t get billed…(lol)

Lol

Jamati: Do you listen to your songs and how do you feel when you do this?

I listen to myself of course. And I do so, so I can get better. I learn from what I did or didn’t do in everything I record.

Jamati: Who inspires you, beside those in the music industry.

Everybody who makes something out of nothing inspires me.

Jamati: If you were not doing music right now,what’s another thing do you think you’d have made it big in?

Modeling or acting. Definitely something in the entertainment industry.

Jamati: We know you love BLING (lol), but what’s the last item you purchased and how much was it?

Hmmm…lemme see…I can’t really remember. I don’t usually buy stuff. People just give me stuff for free. (smile)

Jamati: From what we see and hear about complicated lives of celebrities in the West, do you think Nigerian celebs also face such complications. Any personal experience?

No, not really. We actually have it easier in some cases. For one, the paparazzi doesn’t hound us as much as they do over there. But the tabloids are just as crazy. It’s almost the same.

Jamati: How do you sum the impact of your music so far?

Its been quite a wonderful experience. Everyday I get calls, text messages, facebook messages, and twitter replies from different people. It feels good that so many people appreciate my music and aren’t shy to let me know.

Jamati: What plans do you have with regards to giving back to God and the society that gave you these much?

I pay my tithes and I keep on making good music and am looking into giving to charities.

Jamati: Who would you like to send shoutouts to?

To everybody that listens to me n buys my album, thank you. This is our investment and the market is looking good.

Jamati: Thank you for hanging out with us on Jamati Online,we wish you all the best in life.

Thank you.

No comments: